Saturday, June 19, 2010

Botanical Gardens of Vallarta

We set out on a new adventure, a trip to the canopy to visit the Puerto Vallarta Botanical Gardens. It was well worth the 30 minute drive. It might be cut in half in a taxi since they drive like Italian racecar drivers!



We were so glad we decided to make this trip, the gardens were beautiful! We were smack in the middle of the rain forest pretty far up in the mountains behind Vallarta. I encourage anyone who heads to Puerto Vallarta to take a trip to the Botancal Gardens.
There are many exotic plants and flowers to enjoy year round. The trails are easily accessible, but try to wear shoes with good traction be it sandles or tennis. I wore a pair of flip flops and did okay but my feet were hurting me towards the end due to no arch support.




We decided to hike down to the Rio Swimming Hole. The path looked okay at the beginning, then we started go down stairs, lots of stairs you'd see the end then the path would snake around and there were more stairs! My feet were starting to hurt, mostly because I was not wearing proper shoes. Was there no end in sight? Finally we get to some levelish ground, there are some big boulders that the path winds around. We gently step through and around them, me looking closely at every log because it looks like a crocodillo! Plus keeping my eyes peeled for snakes. We finally get to what we guess is the swimming hole, not very clear as you can see from the picture above. Lots of bugs and mosquitos. They had heavy rains the day before so that probably accounts for the murkiness and bugs. I was so freaking hot by then, if I had on my swimsuit crocodiles be damned I would have jumped in. Seriously, I thought I was going to die right there in the middle of the flipping jungle!! Ken and the girls were eyeing the trail that went up high over some boulders because it led to the waterfalls, I said go ahead I will be happy to just sitting here on this old bench beneath this tree which has cougars and snakes living in it waiting to pounce on some weak human once they were left alone. So off they went to the waterfalls. I was sitting there trying to cool off and it just wasn't happening. Not like AZ when you get in the shade it's cool, here it's as hotter! So I decided to just get a head start and start hiking out of there. This way I am not holding them up when they come back from the waterfall. So I headed out. I forgot to bring a bottle of water with me and thought I was going to pass out a few times. I finally made it to the last set of steps and looked up to see the restaurant with it's cool refreshing beverages cheering me on! So I  kept going. Every three steps I had to stop to catch my breath and fan myself off. Damn why didn't I bring a bottle of water? I kept myself going because I knew there were people up there cheering me on as they watched me stumble up that damn hill! A cool refreshing drink awaited me.... had   to  keep   going....



I made it....... yet to live another day!

There is a nice restaurant at the botanical gardens Hacienda de Oro, a very pretty hostess and our waiter/bartender Rudolof. He was so nice. The minute he helps you into your seat he brings the ladies a scented flower for their hair. Ours were gardenias, so sweet smelling. He then brings you a rolled up washcloth which as been chilling in an ice chest. You open it up and it feels like heaven just kissed your hot sweaty face! He then takes your beverage order and food order if you are going to eat. We just had breakfast before we arrived so we were not hungry. They have the most delectable drinks and a fine food menu. Homemade icecream or milkshakes are available too. The view from this over the canopy restaurant is breathtaking. There is a nice breeze that comes through which makes you feel so welcome to stay forever. The pretty hostess allows me to take a photograph of her in her traditional dress.


The beautiful hostess.

Rudolfo and myself


No comments:

Post a Comment