Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sarah's Last Day in Puerto Vallarta

Today was Sarah's last day in Puerto Vallarta. So we did some things she wanted to do. She was looking for a couple of things to take back and wanted to watch the fireworks from the Malecon.
So we headed to town around 11:30. We parked in our usual parking spot near McDonalds. We headed East away from the Malecon mainly because we have already shopped on the Malecon many times and did not want to deal with the timeshare folks.



Ken wanted Sarah to taste the Tacos al Pastor before she left. I asked a lady who was walking by where we could find a place that sold Tacos al Pastor, she pointed towards the direction we were traveling and said five blocks that way. Now in most cities five blocks would be a long ways, but in Mexico their blocks are very small so five blocks might equal one of ours. We walked the five blocks and could not find the place, so I asked a man who was walking nearby and he told me to go up East one street and then turn right which was the direction we were headed. He said we would see the church and something to the effect that there was one near there. I honestly didn't understand the last part. Spanish was too fast for me. So we went that direction, found the church which is the church I have been wanting to visit. Still no taco stand. Across from the church was a restaurant so we walked in to see if they knew if they could give me directions. By this time Ken and Sarah are getting antsy notice you can arrange the words to spell (nasty). They don't do well when they are hungry. So we ended up eating there.



Ken mentioned that he felt safe eating there since sitting next to our table was a nun.

I ordered shrimp fajitas. Ken had chicken fajitas and Sarah had garlic fish. Trinity was not very hungry and only had one bean and cheese taco. With the meal came a bowl of vegetable soup, agua pina, and flan.
I made a few tacos with the fresh corn tortillas that they brought, squeezed some fresh juicy lime over it and poured some of their tasty salsa on top. It was wonderful! Ken made tacos out of his too. The soup was most definately homemade and delicious! Sarah said her fish was wonderful and Trinity ate all of her taco. The meal cost under 200 pesos. Not bad at all.



Sarah needed to use the washroom before we left. I laughed when we first sat down because I faced the washroom and the door was more like half a door wide! I remember my abuela having a bathroom door similar to this. Brought back memories.



We left there and went to the church across the street. I love to visit the local churchs whenever I go to a new town or village. Our Lady of Guadalupe church is a popular landmark in Puerto Vallarta.



I took several indoor pictures which do not do it justice. It is not a big and is more simple than I expected it to be.


After photgraphing the church we went West towards the Malecon. We had several blocks to walk back to the car. I wanted to buy a few more Christmas gifts so I kept my eye open for anything that looked promising. We went into a couple of souvenier shops, I figured Sarah and Trinity might want something for their friends. Then we moved on. We were hounded at every restaurant and timeshare kiosk we passed. It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. You have to lie to them or they don't give up. We tell them that we already own here and are not interested, that usually does the job or you can just act like you don't see or hear them, but I find that kind of rude.



I remember that Iwanted to find The Rolling Stone Leather store because I was had read they had nice leather purses for very reasonable prices. Trinity was keeping a lookout for me and finally pointed it out. Its funny that I have looked at this store just about everytime we have been to the Malecon and never once paid attention to the name. We went in to take a looksie. They had some nice things, especially the boots and compact purses, wallets etc. I fell in love with a small purse made out from stingray, it was around $98 US. But Ken gave this signal which meant no more spending.So I passed it up. I had already picked out a cute purse for Sarah and a pair of harachas. My sandles broke and I needed a replacement. I tried to get Trinity to pick something out but she didn't see anything she liked.


Leaving The Rolling Stone Leather shop
Note: blow up this picture by clicking on it. The detail in the doorway and door are pretty awesome!

After we left the leather shop I spied the No Name Boutique. I had read a about this store in a review and I really wanted to check it out.  I bought a cute dress and a couple of outfits for Christmas gifts.
I was also able to find a blouse that my Aunt had asked for which was a load off my shopping list!

OK, one more stop, I wanted to buy something from the La Bodeguita Del Medio shop. They sell T-Shirts, hats, cigars and other souvenier items. I made my purchase then we went upstairs for one more Mojito and water for the girls. We really needed to take a break and cool off!


Took a picture of the girls with our favorite hostess.
We finally left La Bodeguita and headed home for a little cooling off by the pool. We headed back to town later on and walked all the way up the Malecon again, with my New shoes! Big mistake!!! We watched the fireworks then we headed to Bubba Gump Restaurant for some viddles.

Since Ken had already eaten and so had Sarah, so I thought I figured it would just be Trinity and myself eating. I ordered the Bubbas after the Storm Bucket of Trash. It came with Spicy fried shrimp, battered Mahi Mahi, Crab claws. We also ordered something called Shrimpers Heaven. I ordered a bowl of Crab Bisque for Sarah since she was eating our food. I guess she didn't eat like I thought she had but was not interested in ordering. Trinity and I were starving!! Sarah and I had a strawberry lemonade, and Trinity had some kind of Pinada type beverage. Ken and a draft Negro Modelo.





No comments:

Post a Comment