Thursday, April 22, 2010

Foods of Mexico - The Jicama

Jicama pronounced He cama

I am discovering all kinds of new fruits and vegetables here in Mexico. I just love the food here.
I will be talking about Jicama today. Jicama is a root type plant. It looks like a brown turnip. It resembles a potatoe when peeled. It's texture is like that of an apple. It tastes between an apple and a watercress. It is best eaten uncooked. It can be mixed in salads, eaten alone with salt, pepper, lime and cayenne.

Prepared raw Jicama

In Mexico it runs around .20 a pound for Jicama. I have seen recipes where they combine, Jicama, Mango, and cucumber sticks with the lime and chili to make a salad. Sounds good I think I will try that as soon as I get some mangos. Cucumbers are very cheap in Mexico. There is a spice mix called Ajin which you can buy at Food City. It is the same as adding the salt, cayenne and lime. It's very easy to use you just sprinkle it on the Jicama. I know that my niece Robin would become addicted to this and it would be very good for her as well as her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment